The many editions of BOOKMARKS PLUS provide students with essential knowledge of the book: title, author info, publication date, genre, story premise, descriptions of main characters, and setting. Each edition also contains a "Words to Know" section, which students can refer to as they come across difficult words. Some even feature a list of words, along with their definitions, that are specific to the setting.
BOOKMARKS PLUS come 5 to a page, front to back, so you can print as many as you like for as long as you like with only a minimal initial investment! The bookmarks are also provided in both a color version and a black and white version.
DOWNLOAD THE PREVIEW FILE AND RECEIVE A FREE EDITION OF BOOKMARKS PLUS!
NOTE: The 25 "Words to Know" vocabulary words on the bookmarks are the same words covered in my THE SIGN OF THE BEAVER synonym/antonym crossword, which can be found here:
Also, the same 25 words are part of my THE SIGN OF THE BEAVER Prereading Crossword Puzzle, which familiarizes students with 50 challenging words before they read. The puzzle can be found here:
ELEMENTARY EDITIONS OF BOOKMARKS PLUS (list might not be current):
* A Day No Pigs Would Die
* The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
* Because of Winn Dixie
* Beezus and Ramona
* Blood on the River
* Bridge to Terabithia
* Bud, Not Buddy
* Call It Courage
* Catherine Called Birdy
* The Cay
* Charlotte’s Web
* The Clay Marble
* Dead End in Norvelt
* The Devil’s Arithmetic
* The Egypt Game
* Esperanza Rising
* Found, Book 1: The Missing
* Freak the Mighty
* From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler
* In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson
* Island of the Blue Dolphins
* Jacob Have I Loved
* James and the Giant Peach
* Julie of the Wolves
* The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
* Lupita Mañana
* Maniac Magee
* The Midwife’s Apprentice
* Missing May
* Moon Over Manifest
* The Night Tourist
* Number the Stars
* One Crazy Summer
* The Pinballs
* Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry
* Running Out of Time
* Sarah, Plain and Tall
* Shakespeare’s Secret
* Shooting the Moon
* The Sign of the Beaver
* Sing Down the Moon
* A Single Shard
* Stone Fox
* Summer of the Monkeys
* The Tale of Despereaux
* Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing
* The Tiger Rising
* The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle
* Tuck Everlasting
* The Watsons Go to Birmingham—1963
* When You Reach Me
* When Zachary Beaver Came to Town
* Where the Red Fern Grows
* The Whipping Boy
* A Wrinkle in Time
Don't see a bookmark for your favorite title? Contact me through TPT, and I’ll create one for you!
*******PRAISE FOR BOOKMARKS PLUS FROM TEACHERS OF ALL LEVELS!*******
***My students LOVE these bookmarks. I have one for each of the 11 pieces of literature they read with me during the year. Not only does it keep their place, the bookmarks provide valuable information about each text, as well as helpful vocabulary that could be incorporated into assessments… I actually copy limited numbers of each in color and use as class incentives. My 10th graders LOVE to win contests to upgrade their bookmarks to color (way better than candy as a prize too). I cannot say enough positive things about these bookmarks!—Matthew R.***
***Very handy for students who won't stop to look things up!—Denise S.***
***To say that my students loved these would be an understatement. They referred to them all the time, got really upset if their bookmark got misplaced, and said they were the best thing I’d ever given them... (they are prone to slight exaggeration...but they were appreciative!)...Highly recommend!—High School Language Arts Teacher***
***I gave them to the students a couple of days before we started so they could get acquainted with the story. Thank you!*** Nancy M.
***I purchased these bookmarks for 4 novels after downloading the Holes freebie bookmark. They are wonderful! The students refer to them frequently while reading. Struggling readers feel empowered and participate in text discussion much more often. Definitely worth the price!—Portigo P.***
***This was a great resource for the students. Not only can students use this as a reminder, students can use it to quiz other students or coach each other. Good idea! Thanks for your efforts.—Jennifer S: ***
Download the FREE Holes edition and see for yourself what handy little resources these bookmarks are!
Below are my unique products over THE SIGN OF THE BEAVER.
Check them out in my store!
• Bookmarks Plus: THE SIGN OF THE BEAVER edition--Handy Reading Aid! Helps students keep track of characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these handy reading aids!
• THE SIGN OF THE BEAVER Trivia Game—Fun for the Whole Class! ThemeQuotes games are the only games that link famous, value-promoting quotations to the themes of the books you teach! Students work in teams to play this cross between Wheel of Fortune™ and Trivia Pursuit™ game! 156 questions!
• THE SIGN OF THE BEAVER: Prereading Crossword—50 words! Helps prepare students for reading the book! Use with the The Sign of the Beaver edition of Bookmarks Plus and the The Sign of the Beaver Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
• THE SIGN OF THE BEAVER: Synonym/Antonym Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus! Use with Bookmarks Plus and the 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words! A unique crossword!
• THE SIGN OF THE BEAVER: 6 Word Searches Based on the Book! Categories: Matt’s Creations; In the Village; Onomatopoeias; Meeting Up with Mrs. Bear; Words from Robinson Crusoe; The Bee Tree
• THE SIGN OF THE BEAVER: 6 Cryptocategory Word Puzzles—Unique! Students decode lists of categorized words from the book! Categories: Matt’s Possession; Feathered Creatures; Matt; Attean; Matt’s Home; Attean’s Home;
• THE SIGN OF THE BEAVER: 9 Quotefall Word Puzzles—Unique! Each quotefall is a quotation from the story. Students form individual words of the quotation by transferring letters from above the double line of the puzzle grid to squares in the columns directly below. Quotefalls can be challenging, but students love working them—and they’re great spelling workouts!
• THE SIGN OF THE BEAVER: Outdated Words/Indian Words & Phrases Crossword! Students provide “translations” for outdated language and the Penobscot language.
• THE SIGN OF THE BEAVER: 10 Word Merges—One “Word” Becomes Two! Two-word phrases from the story are blended into one “word.” Students decipher the phrases. Harder than it sounds, but a good spelling workout!
• THE SIGN OF THE BEAVER: 12 Cryptograms—Encoded Similes! Students decode quotations from the story! Each cryptogram puzzle has its own code. Who doesn’t love a code?
• THE SIGN OF THE BEAVER: 2 Vocabulary Crosswords—Fun Learning! Students provide synonyms for challenging words from the story. Good extra credit activity!
• THE SIGN OF THE BEAVER: 6 Fractured Maxim Puzzles Based on the Book! Students rearrange “tiles” to form wise sayings that relate to the themes of the book. Requires students to use their knowledge of the story as well as their knowledge of theme, spelling, phonics, vocabulary, and language!
• THE SIGN OF THE BEAVER: 4 Fill-In Word Puzzles—Trial and Error Workout! Students enter common words from the story into the puzzle grid, based on the number of letters in the word. The puzzle can be challenging, but each time students enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next.
• THE SIGN OF THE BEAVER: Anagram Crossword—A Fun Spelling Challenge! Students decipher common terms from the novel! The puzzle can be challenging, but, as with all crosswords, almost every time they enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next.
• THE SIGN OF THE BEAVER: Completing Characters’ Quotations Crossword—Unique! Students use their knowledge of the story, their spelling skills, and their knowledge of language to complete these quotations by characters in the book.
• THE SIGN OF THE BEAVER: Reading-for-Detail Crossword—Challenging! A great way to check students’ reading skills!
• THE SIGN OF THE BEAVER: 12 Theme-Related Quotations + Teaching Ideas Well-researched, thought-provoking quotations by some of history’s greatest thinkers—each quotation relates to a theme in the book!
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!