This illustrated text is of an old Japanese ghost story from a book of Japanese folk tales called the 'Kaidan' that was published in the early 1900's by the writer, Lafcadio Hearn. I have designed this as a multi-media resource with a Teacher's Guide providing links to sites that provide detailed history of the genre along with more examples of the 'Kaidan' type of Japanese mystery tale. In addition, there are links to a haunting animated video of the story and a version that provides an added quiz and question prompts within the video itself.
This resource contains;
1. A Teachers Guide outlining the possible classroom uses of the text and links to other useful sites and videos.
2. An illustrated full color 12 page PDF version of the story that contains the full text, a set of comprehension questions and character analysis and point of view writing prompts for ELA students. There is also a short history of the Kaidan genre along with comprehension questions and a writing prompt for Social Studies students.
3. The same PDF text in black and white and another version with white background for easier printing.
4. An ePub version for teachers use or for students with tablets.
5. A student answer's PDF for the text questions.
6. An online Zaption video that contains an animated video of the story with embedded questions that can be used as discussion prompts by the teacher in presentation form. (Zaption sign up is recommended for this).
The story is about two men stuck in a snow storm who take shelter in a small hut. While sleeping there they are visited by a woman in white who proceeds to kill the older man with her icy breath, but spares the young boy with the warning that he must tell no one of what he has seen. Later, she turns up in his life as a beautiful young woman, and the unsuspecting young man marries her. They have a happy life with many children until one night he decides to tell her the story of the woman of the snow.....
The story is in the public domain, as are all of the ukiyo-e images I have used. Some of the others are m own work.
If you enjoy my resources you can find more comic books and multi-media resources in my shop at;