This activity is a mash up of two speaking, listening and research activities: The Socratic Seminar and The Informal Debate. It's one I designed for my students to help them go through the critical thinking process they need to follow to understand a topic before they debate it. If you're interested in seeing how it all worked in my classroom, you can read all about it here
In this zip file you will find:
• Detailed instructions for the teacher
• A slideshow to guide your students through the process
• Handouts and organizers for your students
• Editable rubrics for assessing the process
The file does NOT contain detailed instructions on how to do a formal debate. If you're looking for those, you can check out Debating for Your Classroom or Debate Learning Stations
If you would like to give your students practice in creating strong arguments and counter arguments, check out: Debating Skills.
Connect with me:
Real Learning in Room 213
Room 213 on Pinterest
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and products:
• Look for the green star near the top of any page within my store and click it to become a follower. You will then receive customized email updates about this store.