The Solar System – A Fifth Grade SMARTBoard Introduction is a SMARTBoard 5th grade level instructional presentation
It includes a SMARTBoard presentation of the text along with two fully interactive presentation slides that are also available in PDF format to print and issue as classwork, homework, or attach/incorporate into an interactive notebook. Students can also complete the activities during the presentation as reinforcement for the presentation.
The presentation includes:
• Introductory terminology (solar system, satellite, moon, telescope, comet, asteroid, and meteor).
• Introduction to Galileo
• Dwarf planets addressed
• Planet surfaces and those with rings identified
• The moon and craters explained
• The Earth’s moon compared to others
• Asteroids, asteroid belt, meteors, and comets introduced
The last slides are white-background and used for the printables. The printables are already in PDF form in the package. The white-background pages are not included in the total pages. I include them in case you would like to change any of the data and recreate the printables.
The interactive/review slide and printable:
• The first activity is a labeling/matching activity where students match descriptions with vocabulary/pictures. Included vocabulary: solar system, moon, telescope, satellite, Galileo, meteor, crater, comet, asteroid belt, and asteroid
• The second activity is a labeling activity. Seven parts/terms of the solar system need to be moved to the correct location on the picture of the solar system. Included vocabulary: solar system, asteroid, asteroid belt, meteor, comet, moon, and satellite.
SMARTBoard presentations require the use of Notebook Software. They are not compatible with Promethean Active Inspire software. There are free SMARTBoard viewers online, however.