Included in this folder are a SmartBoard presentation and PDF worksheets designed for the Next Gen science standards for first grade. Also included is a folder containing free NASA PDF masks of the eight planets.
ESS1.A: The Universe and its Stars
Patterns of the motion of the sun, moon, and stars in the sky can be observed, described, and predicted.
ESS1.B: Earth and the Solar System
Seasonal patterns of sunrise and sunset can be observed, described, and predicted.
From the Notebook presentation students will learn:
• The sun and moon appear to rise in one part of the sky, move across the sky, and set; and stars other than our sun are visible at night but not during the day
• The seasons are caused by the orbit of the earth around the sun
• Gravity holds the planets in orbit
• The amount of daylight in the winter is less than the amount in the spring or fall
• There are 8 planets (9 if you include Pluto which has been demoted as a planet)
The PDF files cover ELA Literacy W.1.8: With guidance and support from adults, recall information from experiences or gather information from provided sources to answer a question.
• Booklet on the solar system (students recall information and add illustrations)
• Worksheet 1 (recall of information)
• Worksheet 2 (order of planets from the sun)
• Worksheet 3 (handwriting practice - names of planets)
• Worksheet 4 (scrambled planet names)