The following is a two-day (75 minute periods) worksheet and PowerPoint bundle on the Spanish-American War. This lesson contains a variety of common-core based activities designed to promote class discussion and critical thinking.
Topics covered in this lesson:
• Crisis in Cuba – Cuban uprising again Spanish control
• The rise of yellow journalism
• De Lome letter
• Destruction of the Maine
• Teller Amendment
• Spanish-American War
• Philippine-American War
• Treaty of Paris (1898)
• Platt Amendment
• Do now that appropriately sets up the lesson
• Numerous primary and secondary source document analysis – with questions
• Link to brief Spanish-American War video
• Poem analysis – “White Man’s Burden”
• De Lome letter headline activity
• Think-Pair-Share – Impact of the media
• Enormous opportunities for class discussion
• Over 30 fact-based and critical thinking questions
A 17-slide PowerPoint presentation is included that contains brief notes, additional questions, photographs, maps, and other images that bring the lesson to life.
Feel free to modify this bundle however you see fit. Follow me to receive notifications when any new products are uploaded. Please take a moment to rate this bundle. Thanks!