Stephanie Skolmoski has created a patriotic musical lesson plan about "The Star-Spangled Banner" and the history surrounding it's creation as well as how it was adopted at the national anthem of the United States of America.
• The War of 1812: Inspiration for "The Star-Spangled Banner"
• Writing "The Star-Spangled Banner"
• The National Anthem
• Evolution of the United States of America Flag
• "The Star-Spangled Banner" Lyrics
• Alternate Lyrics
• Printable worksheet about "The Star-Spangled Banner" and its' history
• Several writing activities
• Several art activities
• Several theater (drama) activities
• Several dance activities
• Answer key
This is the perfect lesson and activity for elementary school children and teachers. The entire song (all four verses) is approximately 6 minutes long and the lesson could take about 30-45 minutes. Depending on the activity or activities you choose they could take an additional 15 minutes to several days to complete.
This is the perfect addition to a unit on the United States of America, Flags or patriotism.