This mini-unit includes all you will need to close read about the Statue of Liberty. It includes 4 levels of differentiated student text as well as a teacher text for modeling text coding. This mini-unit is designed to teach primary age students how to close read, take notes, and write about text. Lessons are project based. You begin by reading the students a letter from the National Park Service. The park rangers are in need of new teaching materials at the Statue of Liberty. Students are engaged as they learn about the Statue of Liberty in order to prepare a “Tour Guide Script.” They especially love testing their scripts through interactive drama. Students practice speaking and listening skills as they pretend to be park ranger tour guides of the Statue of Liberty. The mini-unit consists of a 3 part close reading lesson, interactive drama, writing activity, and an optional art project.
During this lesson the students will:
- Read letter from National Park Service rangers stating they need students to help!
- Listen as the teacher reads aloud the teacher text about the Statue of Liberty (text provided)
- Code text with the teacher (text and coding answer sheets are provided)
- Answer and discuss text dependent questions (questions provided)
- Talk about the text with others
- Read differentiated text about the Statue of Liberty with partners (4 different levels are provided)
- Code text with partners using differentiated printable books
- Take notes on the Statue of Liberty using a note sheet (note sheet provided)
- Write a Tour Guide Script about the Statue of Liberty using their notes (tour guide script graphic organizer provided)
- Synthesize their deeper understanding of Statue of Liberty by acting as a tour guide and point and talk about each part of the statue to the class (tour guide script and costumes provided)
- Assess the quality of their tour (checklist provided)
-Make Statue of Liberty Paper Mache’ (instructions provided)
- Step by Step Lesson Plans
- Printable Teacher Text
- Text Dependent Questions for Statue of Liberty teacher Text
- Printable Student books (4 different levels)
- Close Reading Anchor Charts
- Student Note Sheet
- Tour Guide Script Graphic Organizer
- Tour Guide Writing Book
- Writing Assessment/Checklist
- Interactive Drama Printable Costumes
- Art Project Instructions
You can also purchase our American Symbols Pack
which includes 4 different American Symbols at a discounted price.
Or you can purchase each symbol individually
The Liberty Bell
The American Flag
The Bald Eagle
Do you find yourself asking, “What is Close Reading?” Visit the Core Coaches blog post
to find out more!
We would love to hear from you! Please remember to earn your free TpT credit by leaving feedback when you purchase!
Follow us to get updates on our newest products!
@thecorecoaches on Instagram
@Core_Coaches on Twitter
The Core Coaches on Facebook
The Core Coaches on Pinterest
For helpful tips, hints, and classroom strategies check out our blog!
The Core Coaches Blog