The Steadfast Tin Soldier
is an often overlooked tale that was originally written for children, but has been analyzed for years by critics for its many themes ranging from politics, love, socioeconomic status and more. THIS COMMON CORE UNIT is IDEAL for middle and high school students grades 6 through 12, this packet is a PERFECT SCAFFOLD
, with close reading and critical thinking questions that prepare students to write an essay. Our “Rewrite the Ending” activity is also chock full of critical thinking activities, including a pre-write and an activity where students write about their own process and writing decisions. We also think you’ll enjoy the rubric
and two corresponding writing samples
that provide students the opportunity to compare and contrast the samples against each other and an analysis sheet before it’s time to start their own outline.
In this very organized 47-page pack, 3-Major-Activity Package you will receive:
• MAJOR ACTIVITY Close Reading, Critical Thinking, and Comprehension
• Answer KEY
• MAJOR ACTIVITY – Rewrite the Ending: Teacher and Student Handout, Pre-Write, Alternate
Ending, Rewrite (Lined and Unlined), Discussion Questions about Writing
• MAJOR ESSAY ACTIVITY – This activity is really several activities in one, all specially created to
prepare students for facility in writing a nuanced essay.
This includes overviews for both,Teacher and Student, directions, a rubric, a comparison activity with two writing samples so students may discern writing expectations, and a prewrite sheet (organizer) for the essay.
• The full story “The Steadfast Tin Soldier” is included for your convenience.
• All Applicable Common Core Standards, broken down by each activity.
• Freebie, secret handout for you our customer in thanks for your purchase.
We SINCERELY hope you love this product. CHECK out our PREVIEW TO SEE MORE. Your students will learn a lot, and we hope this is a story they will cherish for years to come.
You May Also Enjoy:The Writer’s Workshop for High School, an 8-Day Common Core Unit
The Elves and the Shoemaker – Writing and Critical Thinking Activity Pack Gr. 6 - 12
Gift of the Magi, Complete Activity Pack Grades 6-12
Dr. Heidegger’s Experiment, Complete Story Packet, Activities, Quiz and Keys
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases
page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback
button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you. ☺
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
• Look for the green star
near the top of any page within my store and click it to become a follower
. Voila! You will now receive customized email updates about this store. ☺
Would you like to become part of the TPT family?
• If you feel you have something to share with other teachers.
• Sign on to be a Teachers Pay Teachers seller.
• Click on to my referral link. I’ll be happy to coach you and help you get started.
• You can begin here: Sign Me up to TPT with PerfettoWritingRoom as a Coach!