This unit can be taught with a Social Studies unit on the History of the United States. You will be able to use this unit as a way to teach the students about organizing data in different ways. The students will have fun playing the game and will learn about plotting, graphing, and charting data, so much so, that it will help them not only organize data, but also teach them to construct different ways to represent the data. It will also teach them how to interpret data so they can make sound decisions to enhance their portfolio.
They will also be able to set up and maintain a portfolio. If they do it successfully, they will be able to see how well they did in the game. You will show them how to invest in the stock market. I have included a section on this topic. I will give you templates so you can make the necessary play money, certificates, bonds, and trend cards. I recommend you use card stock for each, that way they will last longer. Unit Objectives: The student will be able to:
1. Recognize new vocabulary words.
2. Solve problems using appropriate arithmetic operations.
3. Solve problems using comparison of quantities, ratios, proportions and percents.
4. Organize existing data.
5. Make predictions from existing data.
6. Design data collection methods.
7. Determine the probabilities of events.
8. Describe the probabilities of events.