The Stone by Lloyd Alexander Activity Bundle
This is a very comprehensive bundle with 50 pages of instructional resources and activities related to the short story, The Stone by Lloyd Alexander. I think your students will enjoy this bundle which includes.
1) A comprehensive, “The Stone, Lesson Plan
2) The Stone Pre-Reading Worksheet: A worksheet that works as an anticipatory pre-reading guide. It focuses on prediction as well as amulets, good and bad luck, and how these concepts relate to the students’ individual cultures.
3) A scavenger hunt for information: This is a 33 question active reading scavenger hunt where students actively hunt for information while they read. This scavenger hunt is meant to enhance enjoyment and check for understanding. They are always a hit with my high school kids. Answer sheets are included.
4) A Word Detective/Word Attack vocabulary activity.
In this activity, students act as vocabulary detectives using their word attack skills to determine the meaning of new words in context, using actual dialogues and narration from the story. They are also asked to provide synonyms and identify parts of speech. There are also questions related to figurative language and word variation. Answer sheets are again included.
5) A comprehensive crossword puzzle related to characters, events, and vocabulary in the story.
6) Seven Post reading follow-up activities which include
• A Genie is a Lamp Graphic Organizer (a writing activity)
• The Stone Story map
• Making a Wish Graphic Organizer and Five Paragraph Essay
7) An Elements of a Short Story Graphic Organizer: An active reading graphic organizers to help your students identify and chart the literary elements in the story as they read.
8) A copy of the story
Again I don’t think that you will find a more comprehensive and fun bundle on the Web. There are over 50 pages of activities.
You can also access my store at