The Story Of Ruby Bridges is a wonderful book to use to introduce historical nonfiction, biographies, informational text, as well as informational paragraph writing. It helps children understand a difficult time in history and what even a child can do to change unfair laws. This journal includes graphic organizers, constructed response writing, vocabulary, and much more!
- Fiction vs. nonfiction
- What do you know about...
During Reading Activities:
-10 specific comprehension questions
- Sketch important life events.
After Reading Activities:
- Personal Traits analysis
- Compare and contrast
- Cause and effect
- Friendly letter writing - letter to Snowflake Bentley
- Reader's response writing prompt - text to self - 3 writing prompts: Write About It, Think about it, Go Deeper
- Book rating pages
- Author's purpose
- Vocabulary cards
- Biographical data - Summing it up - thoughts about what was read - Important Noun search
-Sketch favorite part.
-Web graphic organizer - facts about person
-Graphic organizer, informational paragraph
-Writing page - informational paragraph
-"Walk in Her Shoes" - writing as Ruby!
Can be used in whole, small and individual settings. Can be used as individual pages or as a packet.