This key concepts for US history based two page close reading details the rise of Texas as the Lone Star Republic through annexation.
It reveals the challenges faced by the once independent Texas . This lesson has four lesson options: an annotation guide, a worksheet with answer key, a key concept graphic organizer and an interactive notebook folding activity. Students analyze text, support claims with evidence and draw conclusions. In the interactive notebook lesson students support a focus question with supporting details from the reading.
This Westward Expansion, Story of Texas lesson plan is completely student centered! Content covered:
1. The occupation of Texas by Spain, then Mexico
2. Stephen Austin's arrival
3. A brief history of Tejanos
4. Struggles led by Sam Houston and Santa Ana
5. The Battles of Gonzales, San Jacinto, the Alamo and Goliad
6. Sam Houston as president and eventual annexation of Texas as a state
Tony Pavlovich, Instructomania,