The Story of an Hour by Kate Chopin Short Story Bundle
This is a very comprehensive bundle with 40 pages of instructional resources and activities related to the short story, "The Story of an Hour," by Kate Chopin. This unit was designed to give the teacher choice. I don’t expect that you will be able to use everything. These include,
1) The Story of an Hour Scavenger Hunt for Information
There is a 25 question active reading scavenger hunt where students actively hunt for information while they read. This scavenger hunt is meant to enhance enjoyment and check for understanding. They are always a hit with my high school kids. Answer sheets are included.
2) A Word Detective/Word Attack vocabulary activities.
In this activity, students act as vocabulary detectives using their word attack skills and context clues to determine the meaning, of new words in context using actual dialogues and narration from the story. They are also asked to provide synonyms and identify parts of speech. There are also questions related to figurative language and word variation. Answer sheets are again included.
3) A comprehensive crossword puzzle related to the characters, events, vocabulary, and figurative language of the story.
4) A Figurative Language Study Guide
This is worksheet and workshop which introduces the figurative language in the short story. It focuses on the six most common kinds of figurative language used by the author; simile, metaphor, personification, hyperbole, synecdoche and paradox and also touches on a very important literary device, foreshadowing.
5) Sevenpost reading follow-up activities and research ideas which include:
The Story of an Hour Story map
The Story of• an Hour Wanted Poster Activity
6) An Elements of a Short Story Graphic Organizer: An active reading graphic organizers to help your students identify and chart the literary elements in the novel as they read.
Again I don’t think that you will find a more comprehensive and fun bundle on the Web. There are over 50 pages of activities. Also I will be adding things as the year progresses. Get it now at this price!
You can also access my store at