This is also available in a Grades 3-4 Combo Pack! See it HERE.
This station also included in the Grades 3-4 Basic Operations Math Stations MEGA Bundle. This includes all of the Math Stations for Basic Operations for Grades 3-4, at a discount. See that Mega Bundle HERE.
SEE ALL MATH STATIONS FOR ADDITION, SUBTRACTION, MULTIPLICATION, AND DIVISION HERE
Do you want to implement more mental math strategies into your classroom, but don’t know where to start? Do you already teach mental math, but want to work more strategically to target your students more effectively? This is going to be the solution that you have been looking for.
The Subtraction Station integrates simple principles of student engagement
including power, fun and choice. These basic principles will engage, motivate, and ensure success
for all learners in your classroom.
So, how does it work?
Well, it’s really quite simple. Students work through a series of activities for each level. They complete the activities, self-check using the prepared answer keys, and keep track of their progress using their personal tracker. At the end of each level, the student asks the teacher for a quick, informal, one-minute oral quiz. If he knows his facts/strategies, he moves to the next level. If not, he simply practices a bit more until he feels ready. There are no negative consequences.
This process is entirely student-run.
It is a beautiful thing to sit back and watch your students “running the show.” After the first week of this program, you will notice your role switching from that of teacher to that of facilitator.
Why do students love this approach so much? It’s easy: they have power!
They have freedom!
They are truly in control of their own learning. And THAT results in highly motivated students who love to learn.
Add to that an effective order of teaching the strategies that really makes practical sense, and you will have students who feel smart, successful and engaged. It’s just that simple. Your students are going to love this.
You are going to be noticing some pretty big changes within your math instruction once you start using this resource:
- Your teaching will become more effective, as you teach in a practical order where the easiest facts and strategies are learned first.
- Your teaching will become strategic. Finally! An organized, effective way to focus on mental math strategies. The work is done for you.
- The amount of marking that you have to do will decrease, as students are responsible for their own assessment. (Of course you’ll be doing observational assessment throughout, but you will be doing NO marking.)
- Once you prepare the Subtraction Station, it can be used for at least a couple of months – that’s one less center that you need to worry about!
- Your students will become reflective as they develop metacognition.
- Your students will become motivated mathematicians. Finally, they can all work to a level that is appropriate for themselves.
- Your students will experience success on a regular basis, as a result of working to a level that is appropriate.
- Your math class will become student-centered. Your students are truly in control of their own learning.
This resource includes:
- strategic, progressive, subtraction activities for each set of facts; each strategy is first isolated and then integrated with previous strategies to result in maximum understanding and mastery
- easy-to-understand instruction for each subtraction strategy
- answer keys
- an accompanying video to help you prepare and understand your Subtraction Station (I want to support you the best I can!)
- clear set-up instructions
- parent resources and home practice charts
- classroom posters
- student and teacher assessment trackers
- Subtraction Passports
Teacher support is very important to me and I do everything possible to guide you through the process of creating your own Subtraction Station. Within the document you will find checklists, set-up guides, as well as a support video to guide you through the set-up process.
Please see the free preview for more details and pictures.
Thank you for your interest,