The Sun – A Fifth Grade SMARTBoard Introduction is a SMARTBoard 5th grade level instructional presentation
It includes a SMARTBoard presentation of the text along with two fully interactive presentation slides that are also available in PDF format to print and issue as classwork, homework, or attach/incorporate into an interactive notebook. Students can also complete the activities during the presentation as reinforcement for the presentation.
The presentation includes:
• Introductory terminology (star, astronomical unit, and fusion).
• Stars, astronomical units, and Sun’s mass.
• Makeup of the Sun (% of Hydrogen and Helium, solar flare, corona, core, sunspots, chromosphere, radiation layer, convection layer, and photosphere).
• Aurora Borealis explained.
• Albert Einstein’s E=mc² formula introduced.
The last slides are white-background and used for the printables. The printables are already in PDF form in the package. The white-background pages are not included in the total pages. I include them in case you would like to change any of the data and recreate the printables.
The interactive/review slide and printable:
• The first activity is a labeling/matching activity where students match descriptions with vocabulary/pictures. Included vocabulary: astronomical unit, fusion, core, solar flare, sunspots, chromosphere, star, photosphere, corona, radiation layer, and convection layer.
• The second activity is a labeling activity. Eight parts of the Sun with descriptions need to be moved to the correct location on the picture of the Sun. Included vocabulary: core, solar flare, sunspots, chromosphere, photosphere, corona, radiation layer, and convection layer.
SMARTBoard presentations require the use of Notebook Software. They are not compatible with Promethean Active Inspire software. There are free SMARTBoard viewers online, however.