THOUGHTFUL COMMENTs OR QUESTIONS
1. Does Jakes really never see Brett again? Will he follow her to San Sebastian? Why do they tell little lies to the Count when he asks why they never married?
2. Both Jake and Cohn are very similar in their submission to women. Cohn is berated by Frances and just sits there and takes it AND Jake just lets Brett take advantage of his love for her when she is emotionally distressed.
3. Why does Brett allow Jake to kiss her a bunch and then deny him if she had no intentions of letting him up to her apartment to begin with? It seems a bit cruel.
4. I observed that even though Brett doesn’t want to be with Jake because of his injury, she keeps going back.
5. Why is Robert sending Frances on a vacation if he is breaking up with her?
6. In Jake’s bedroom when he and Brett are talking, why doesn’t she want to live with him if she loves him so much?
7. I feel that Brett is a frustrated and depressed character. She’s torn because she loves Jake, but is marrying Michael. At the end of part one, she kissed Jake a few times but pushes him away, sadly saying, “this is the last time I’ll see you.”
8. I’m curious as to why Brett puts herself and Jake in such awkward positions. I don’t understand why she kissed Jake at the end of the chapter when she “can’t” be with him.
9. I think it’s pretty ridiculous that all of these men love Brett. I don’t understand why they think she’s so great. All she seems to do is go out and get drunk. The fact that she can’t get over Jake’s “issue” is messed up. Is sex all she cares about? She is NOT my favorite person. I feel badly for Frances too because she loves Robert but he’s an idiot because – SHOCK—he loves Brett too…. Ridiculous. Frances shouldn’t run to England because Robert is a jerk. I like Frances, NOT Brett. I feel like Brett marries for sport; it’s disgusting.