Workbooks (or worksheets) are often included in CB treatment as a way for clients to reinforce concepts and practice strategies. But let’s face it–workbooks can be a bit on the boring side (and perhaps too much like school work for child clients.) A lap book is an engaging alternative to a workbook. The Think Book is a lap book designed especially for children who are receiving CBT.
Advantages of the Think Book over traditional CBT workbooks:
● Because the Think Book is three-dimensional (with folding parts and pockets filled with cards) it is more engaging and appealing than a traditional CBT workbook or worksheets.
● The layout is very intuitive, making the complex process of cognitive-emotional awareness easier for the child to navigate.
● Rather than having the child complete pages in a workbook, the writing is done on small cards, so the lap book itself can be used again and again.
● The written components (cards) are varied and also easy to complete, making it more likely that a child will persevere in completing the tasks. (Only one of the cards requires writing a complete sentence; the others require drawing faces and writing feeling words, coloring in a “stressometer,” and completing a simple checklist.
● The completed cards can be kept on file as a record of the child’s progress.
● Creating a THINK Book is relatively low-cost, requiring only file folders, tape, glue and copies of the graphics in this volume.
● The THINK Book can be used in group (or family) sessions, with each person completing his or her own set of cards.
● The THINK Book provides an excellent way for the child to explain CB concepts to parents and/or school staff.
● The THINK Book is very portable: it be taken in the classroom or carried in a book sack and used as the need arises.
● The THINK Book is more than just a workbook for practicing CB strategies. It’s a hands-on tool that can be used by the child as an aid to self-calming. It provides scaffolding that helps the child put into practice the concepts learned in CB treatment.
● Because the THINK Book is low cost and easy to make, the child could have multiple copies for different households, for the classroom, etc.
● A Think Book can be created at any time during the treatment process, even as part of the termination process, as a way of reviewing progress and providing a concrete reminder of what has been achieved.