Products in this Bundle (4)
These bright, colorful and fun adapted text versions of The Tell-Tale Heart make Edgar Allan Poe's classic accessible to a wider variety of readers, including ESL, ENL and Special Ed. The bundle includes 5-days of lesson plans, based around an initial and then close read of the text, which comes at 2-adapted levels, plus the original text. See preview for details.
It is easily set up for DISTANCE LEARNING on TPT Digital, shared via Google Classroom. The PDF also prints out for in class instruction.
- Two levels of an illustrated adapted text of The Tell-Tale Heart by Poe. The reading level has been reduced to that suitable for a general classroom or intermediate ESL / special ed, and one suitable for ESL newcomers. They both maintain the unique flavor of this beloved classic.
- The original text, plus the same activities for easy tiered-instruction.
- Vocabulary preview, springing from a knowledge of the most common 1000 words in English.
- Close-read directions.
- ELA direction on repetition, point of view, quoting, paragraph writing, explaining words, unreliable narrators and more.
- Sentence-writing scaffolding for ESL beginners.
- Personal-writing handout.
- Writing-about-literature handouts, focusing on using text evidence to explain what makes the narrator unreliable.
- A timeline graphic organizer.
- A grid for graphical storytelling.
- A setting grid.
- Two 3D make-your-own pumpkin activities.
- A giant vocabulary word search: a different one at each of the 3 text levels.
- Lesson plans, with standards.
This is a great way to introduce your students to a classic they will never forget!
Great materials for your ELLs:
Be sure to check out my Halloween products for nonfiction, an original short story, plus the classic "The Monkey's Paw". They are all for beginner ESL students, and there is a great value bundle containing the whole lot of them. If you're looking for fun activities, nonfiction, a short story for Christmas ("The Little Match Girl") and the New Year, take a look at my Christmas and New Year materials. I also have a series of short stories that will engage your students at any time, while teaching grammar and vocab. Enjoy browsing, and have fun teaching!