This engaging and thorough writing process-based project helps students blend their own story and voice with Tim O'Brien's style.
After reading part or the whole novel, The Things They Carried, students write a personal narrative based on the popular and powerful author's style.
Included in this bundle:
1. 17-slide editable PowerPoint w/learning targets, mini-lessons, activities, checklists, and directions.
2. 7-page editable Word Writing Guide and Organizer, printable or can be used digitally.
3. Common Core Standards document
4. Scoring Rubric - aligned with upper level high school ELA standards for reading and writing - can be edited for other grade levels.
5. Self-assessment and reflection activity (included with Rubric)
1. Learn about Tim O'Brien
2. Understand Author's Style Elements
3. Identify what makes O'Brien's style so unique
4. Understand how we can carry literal and figurative things
5. Generate ideas for writing a personal narrative
6. Choose a chapter on which to base own narrative
7. Complete a step-by-step Plotting the Chapter activity that identifies chapter-specific style elements
8. Adjust your story to the chosen chapter
9. Use the writing process to draft, peer-review, self-review, conference with teacher, revise, edit, and publish
10. Use scoring rubric to self-assess and reflect
11. Publish work digitally and in print
My students love this project! Many juniors used it as the basis for their college essays.
Please check out my Vietnam Era Stations unit - 8 varied and engaging stations with full texts and fun and rigorous leveled activities to challenge and interest all learners!