The Things They Carried Background and Chapter 1 Unit | Vietnam War
- Google Apps™
What educators are saying
Also included in
- This 190-page bundle of ten resources is everything you will ever need to dive in to Tim O'Brien's The Things They Carried. It includes 17 detailed lesson plans and accompanying assessments, writing exercises, and handouts.It is designed for students in AP English Language & Composition, dual enPrice $29.97Original Price $43.43Save $13.46
- This AP™ English Language & Composition CED-aligned bundle is for the first-time instructor or seasoned Lang teacher who needs to shake things up a bit. It contains 1110 pages of AP™ Language and Composition resources (all 50 of my AP™ products!). Priced individually, the value of these productsPrice $196.97Original Price $261.83Save $64.86
- Putting together an American literature course? This bundle of American pieces is a GROWING collection of the resources Angie has in her store that relate to American fiction and non-fiction. Everything from a Cotton Mather close reading to a Jason Reynolds book study is included. The collection isPrice $76.97Original Price $96.42Save $19.45
This 34-page unit on the background and Chapter 1 of Tim O'Brien's The Things They Carried contains five lesson plans (60-120 minutes each), eleven handouts, one reading quiz, and four versions of a map of Southeast Asia. Materials focus on student understanding of the Vietnam conflict, analysis of symbolism, and writing and analysis of essays in the definition mode.
All materials are provided in both PDF and Google Slides.
Lesson 1: Building Background Knowledge (including Student Handouts A-D---a Vietnam War Timeline, several maps of Vietnam, a soldier lingo scavenger hunt, and a closure activity)
Lesson 2: Symbolism Analysis (including a reading quiz, an exhaustive list of the things the men carry, and Student Handout E, a literary analysis writing exercise)
Lesson 3: The Extended Definition Mode (including Student Handout F, a two-page handout on the extended definition mode)
Lesson 4: Extended Definition as a Device (including Student Handouts G and H, exercises on analyzing the use of extended definition as a device)
Lesson 5: Rhetorical Analysis of an Extended Definition (including Student Handout I, an annotation and writing exercise)
Mini Practice #1: Diction Analysis (Student Handout J)
Mini Practice #2: Syntax Analysis (Student Handout K)
Multiple Choice Question Exercise (Student Handout L)
What Teachers Are Saying
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️My little AP Lang heart is happy! I'm using TTTC at the beginning of the school year, and this resource provides an excellent foundation for skills we will use all year. To expand on the description above:
- It reviews symbolism and helps students understand its clear connection to author's purpose;
- It introduces several essay modes and helps students see a clear connection to author's purpose (while requiring them to also practice the modes);
- It breaks down composing analysis paragraphs in one of the simplest, most straightforward formats I've seen;
- It forces students to consider sentence-level analysis and its impact on our understanding of purpose;
- It's logically organized with brief but thorough teacher notes.
-The Content Teacher's Toolbox
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️Easy-to-use and thoughtfully constructed product!
-Lindsay Ann Learning
Ways to Use This Resource
⭐️Set students up for comprehension success with background materials.
⭐️Weave rhetorical modes into the unit to kill two birds with one stone.
⭐️Provide reading accountability with chapter quizzes.
⭐️Provide opportunities to analyze and construct each rhetorical mode.
⭐️Don't have time to teach the whole book? Hit key chapters with the mini units you need.
You might also be interested in The Things They Carried Complete Unit
These resources are included in Angie's complete, full-year AP English Language & Composition Curriculum BUNDLE