In this discounted bundle, I’ve compiled what has worked well for me and my AP Language and Composition students while teaching Huck Finn and The Things They Carried.
Included in each resource are as follows:
Huck Finn - This unit focuses on satirical targets using The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn as its core text.
1) Pre-reading activities center around "A Modest Proposal," "Damned Human Race," "Advice to Youth," satirical cartoons, and student identification, analysis, and application of satirical techniques!
2) During-reading activities focus on satirical targets in Huck Finn. Some of these activities include double entry journals with an example, analysis of satire through characters in Huck, exploration of Huck's moral development, and realism vs. romanticism in the text.
3) For each section of reading, there are essential questions with context, warm-up activities with small passages and model analysis, and larger passage analysis.
4) Included are also reference resources for analysis of satire: Sentence stems for assertions and commentary, useful verbs for analysis of satire, satirical techniques with examples, and adjectives to describe diction and language.
The Things They Carried
1) Pre-reading activities where students analyze letters from LBJ and Ho Chi Minh (rhetorical analysis).
2) Motif analysis activities -- how motifs connect to O'Brien's purpose.
3) Character Analysis -- Writing assignments, graphic organizers, and "A Portrait of a Character" activities.
4) Passage analysis for each chapter with model rhetorical analysis
5) Discussion and reading questions for each chapter
6) A "silent discussion" activity that could be used in tandem with the reading questions.
Please see the provided links within the preview for full a more comprehensive look at each. You can also visit the links below.
If you have any questions, feel free to use the Q and A function. I’m happy to answer any questions.
Michael Enos (Lit Monster)
Individual Links to Resources:
TTTC Resource: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/AP-Language-and-Composition-The-Things-They-Carried-AP-Lang-3757518
Huck Finn: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/The-Adventures-Of-Huckleberry-Finn-Huck-Finn-for-AP-Language-and-Composition-3685215