This resource is a collection of activities that have worked well for me before and while reading The Things They Carried in the honors and AP Lang classrooms.
Inside, you will find the following:
1) Passage analysis activities on letters from LBJ to Ho Chi Minh, Ho Chi Minh's reply, and Ho Chi Minh's letter to the American people.
2) Sample analysis and a "fixing dead sentences" activity (focused on rhetorical analysis)
3) Sentence stems for rhetorical analysis
4) An analytical verbs list for rhetorical analysis
5) Questions to pair with the films "Brothers in War" and "The Fog of War"
If you have any questions regarding this resource, please feel free to use the Q and A function. I'm happy to answer any questions you have. Please see the preview for a closer look.
Mike (Lit Monster)
For the full unit and other chapter resources, visit the following links:
The Things They Carried for AP Lang - Entire Book
The Things They Carried: Chapter 1
The Things They Carried: Love and Spin
The Things They Carried: On the Rainy River
The Things They Carried: Enemies through The Dentist
The Things They Carried: Sweetheart of the Song Tra Bong
The Things They Carried: Stockings through Style
The Things They Carried:Speaking of Courage and Notes
The Things They Carried:In the Field through The End
More AP Language and Composition Resources:
Rhetorical Analysis Workshop
Embedding, Assertions, and Thesis Stems for AP Lang
A Portrait of a Speaker: Creative Rhetorical Analysis
The Crucible for AP Lang
Huck Finn for AP Lang
The Crucible, The Things They Carried, and Huck Finn for AP Lang – Discounted Bundle!
The Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass for AP Lang