Have students read Tim O'Brien's The Things They Carried analyzing author's purpose and rhetorical strategies! This bundle is a compilation of what has worked well for me in the AP Lang and honors classrooms. This could also be adapted for regular courses.
In this document, you can find the following:
1) Pre-reading activities where students analyze letters from LBJ and Ho Chi Minh (rhetorical analysis).
2) Motif analysis activities -- how motifs connect to O'Brien's purpose.
3) Character Analysis -- Writing assignments, graphic organizers, and "A Portrait of a Character" activities.
4) Passage analysis for each chapter with model rhetorical analysis
5) Discussion and reading questions for each chapter
6) A "silent discussion" activity that could be used in tandem with the reading questions.
Feel free to view the preview for a closer look. You can also use the Q&A tab if you have any questions.
Mike (Lit Monster)
For individual resources for this book, see the following Links:
The Things They Carried: Chapter 1
The Things They Carried: Love and Spin
The Things They Carried: On the Rainy River
The Things They Carried: Enemies through The Dentist
The Things They Carried: Sweetheart of the Song Tra Bong
The Things They Carried: Stockings through Style
The Things They Carried:Speaking of Courage and Notes
The Things They Carried:In the Field through The End
More AP Language and Composition Resources:
Rhetorical Analysis Workshop
Embedding, Assertions, and Thesis Stems for AP Lang
A Portrait of a Speaker: Creative Rhetorical Analysis
The Crucible for AP Lang
Huck Finn for AP Lang
The Crucible, The Things They Carried, and Huck Finn for AP Lang – Discounted Bundle!
The Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass for AP Lang