This mini-unit is great for teaching students to compare and contrast the different versions of the famous Three Little Pigs fairy tales!
Mentor texts used:
- The Three Little Pigs by Paul Galdone or James Marshall (both are the regular version of the story)
- The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by Jon Scieszka
- The Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig by Eugene Trivizas & Helen Oxenbury
- Story Sorts: Cut apart the descriptions that go with each read aloud, and mix them up. Have your students sort the pieces on a Venn Diagram pocket chart during whole group or have small groups sort the pieces on an anchor chart. My kiddos loved using hula hoops to make giant Venn diagrams on the carpet!
- Focus on Character graphic organizers
- Venn Diagram graphic organizers - both for comparing characters & stories
- Writing Activities: prompts for students to write their own version of the Three Little Pigs
These activities were perfect for my kiddos to enjoy a whole week studying the different versions of The Three Little Pigs!
To go along with teaching OTHER fairytales, you may want to check out my Fairy Tale Journals!
If you enjoy this literacy unit, you might want to check out: