Put on a performance and watch your students shine! The Three Little Pigs is a timeless story which leaves students with a wonderful message about hard work. This package includes a Teacher’s Script, Reader’s Theatre, Teacher Comments, Writing Prompt, Pattern Block Math Activity, Cast Party Sign Up Sheet, Invitation, Playbill, and a Reminder for Parents.
Students benefit by learning theatre vocabulary, reading skills through re-reading of the reader’s theatre, enthusiasm for learning, voice projection, using their body as an actor’s tool, listening skills, teamwork, cooperation, and pride from sharing their hard work and efforts with parents and family members. We also always put on a dress rehearsal to work out the kinks with our grade level peers. One of the students’ favorite experiences is watching the video of themselves after the rehearsal and recognizing what their own strengths and needs are.
Integrating some of the suggestions below can transform The Three Little Pigs from a simple story into a thematic unit in the classroom:
• Read multiple versions of the story.
• Chart the story elements: Title, character, setting, beginning, middle, end, big idea/author’s message.
• Discuss what student’s would do if they were the pigs and then write about it.
• Write letters to story characters.
• Chart about hard work.
• Study and read about farm animals.
• Make soup in class
• Create a farm science center (add farm books, cotton, wool, eggshells, plastic farm animals, empty milk containers, birds nest, etc.)
• Create a building center (farm animals, blocks, pattern blocks, shoe boxes, cans, ect.)
• Sing songs about the farm.