In this three-week unit, your students will learn to:
- organize and write a multi-paragraph essay
- construct a strong argument/thesis
- use textual evidence to support the argument
- gain understanding of multiple perspectives
- construct a thorough introduction and a concise closing
- communicate their reasoning with peers
Included in this file:
- student graphic organizers for each week
- step-by-step instructions on how to pace the unit
- examples from my own teaching of this unit
- photos of anchor charts
- ideas/ways to extend the project that connect to math, arts, and presentation skills
This unit is aligned to Common Core opinion writing standards W.3.1a, W.3.1b, W.3.1c, and W.3.1d. Students should be able to formulate an argument and effectively use evidence to support their reasoning, and this experience gives them the opportunity to practice these important skills using familiar and entertaining texts. Happy teaching!
The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by John Scieszka is available here on Amazon.
Find other useful writing organizers:
Multi-paragraph Graphic Organizer
Free Opinion Writing Graphic Organizer
Paragraph Writing Template
Click the green star to follow my shop!