Three Witty Goats Gruff is a poem I wrote that is based on a variation of the original Three Billy Goats Gruff. In this charming poem, students look at an alternate way to end the story. While doing so, they reinforce important Literacy skills (i.e., new vocabulary, making predictions, using context clues to make inferences, singular/plural pronouns, synonyms), as well as Math concepts (i.e., counting backwards, detecting patterns, reinforcing concept about measurement/size, subtracting).
In addition to the poem, the Kit also includes the following cross-curricular activities:
1. Using Stick Puppets To Teach Literacy - Retelling stories using character puppets is a wonderful way for students to engage with literature and have fun while doing so. Some benefits include strengthening oral vocabulary, building comprehension, retelling a story in sequence, and recalling details.
2. Maze - students help the Three Billy Goats Gruff navigate through a maze to get to a field of fresh grass (good for refining fine motor, spatial and problem-solving skills),
3. Writing Template - students reflect on their favourite part of the story (while practising important writing skills),
4. Fill In The Missing Words - students use a word bank to fill in the missing words from the poem (great for memory skills and practising high-frequency words,
5. Making Patterns Worksheet – students complete and create their own pattern using characters from the story (aids with visual discrimination and patterning concepts).
6. Word Scramble
8. Discussion Questions
THE POEM IS NOW AVAILABLE IN A PICTURE-BOOK FORMAT!
The Three Witty Goats Gruff by Lora Rozler is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Happy teaching everyone!