This is a great set of activities to complement the story The Twelve Days of Kindergarten by Deborah Lee Rose. Book Talk: This story has a cumulative counting rhyme in which the teacher gives the students something different each day, ending with the "twelve eggs for hatching." As the story progresses, the illustrations develop additional story lines. For example, the hamsters have babies, the fish grows too large for his aquarium due to overfeeding, the children's drawings are reproductions of famous paintings, and more! (You will need to provide your own copy of the book.)
These projects are especially useful during those first days of school when you are working to establish procedures and routines.
Here are some of the special features of this unit:
• The activities are appropriate for children who are not yet reading.
• Easy Prep-You need provide only the book and a strip of paper for the story retelling headband.
• You can do these activities over several days or even do all of them on the first day of school-they are that easy to implement!
The 6 activities in this unit are:
• Build-A-Word Book with the focus word “us”
• Foldable Booklet
• Category Sort
• Pictures that start like “school”
• Story Shapes
• Story Retelling Headband
Check out my category listing "Back to School" to find other great units for the start of the year!