The Umbrella by Jan Brett is a wonderful Spring book (sold separately, online or in stores) which tells the story of Carlos, who goes into the cloud forest to see animals. Unbeknownst to him, animals fill his umbrella and have an adventure. Carlos returns home, finding only Frog, thinking the animals weren't out and about that day! This literature unit is filled with six different follow-up activities and games to target listening, language and literacy! Following reading, engage your students in activities targeting:
1. Two Levels of Sequencing with Pictures (which is also a great retelling tool!)
2. Comprehension Questions with two (picture) answer choices
3. Rhyme Sort- Sort pictures by rhyme
4. Absurdities- Correct the absurdities and repeat
5. Carlos' Book Hunt- A game to find items in the book matching given attributes and functions
6. Printable, black and white, take-home book so the students can share the story with friends and family.
Not only will your students LOVE this cute story, they'll also have fun with these follow-up activities targeting language, listening and literacy!