If you celebrate Valentine’s Day with the heartwarming book, The Valentine Bears by Eve Bunting, use this literature unit for fun literacy, language and listening follow-up activities. The book tells the story of two hibernating bears who wake up in February to celebrate Valentine’s Day (book available at Amazon or other online book retailers.) This literature unit includes six activities including:
1. Sequencing and Retelling- Sequence picture cards and retell the story
2. Comprehension Questions with two (picture) answer choices
3. The Valentine Bears’ Book Hunt- A game to find items in the book matching given attributes and functions
4. Analogies- Complete analogies featuring two pictures
5. Valentine Bears Rhyme Time Game- Roll a die and move on the game board. The numbered square you land on dictates how many rhymes you’ll have to generate. Draw a card to see the word you’re to rhyme.
6. Valentine Bears Mad Lib- List items, which are red, blue and sweet, and create fun Valentine poems!
Your students LOVE this cute story and also have fun with these follow-up activities targeting language, listening and literacy