This FREE download is for an activity to accompany the book, The Very Busy Spider, by Eric Carle. The pictures are simple black and white images that may be colored. The focus of this activity is for students to become familiar with animal names, sounds, and basic spelling and words.
Suggested Use: Concentration Card Game
Activity sheets, pre-cut cardstock or construction paper that is slightly larger than each of the cutout rectangles, scissors, glue.
1. Review animal sounds and words with students.
2. Students may draw an animal(s) and the sound it makes in the extra blank boxes.
3. Have students color, cut, and paste the cutouts on to pre-cut construction paper.
4. Have students practice matching the pictures to the sounds and words.
5. Play concentration by turning over one set of cards with a partner. Each student may flip two cards over at a time. If they match, then the student may keep the cards as points. The person with the most cards or points wins!
6. Allow students to take the cards home and play with an adult (for homework or fun).