Presentation (Powerpoint) File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This 2 week project based learning unit takes a look past the Treaty of Ghent and into who really won the War of 1812. The students are posed with an opening question to get them thinking, "How can you lose, but really win?" After grouping up and sharing out, this is then connected to the driving question of the unit: "Even though the Treaty of Ghent said there was no winner, who really won the War of 1812?"
As with all true Project Based Learning Units, students will give an ending, group presentations on their findings and answer to the Driving Question. They are also able to pick their project format and present in their desired way as long as the key topics are covered (I hand out the rubric to all of them at the beginning of the project). This project will push the students into the higher levels of thinking and really force them to work collaboratively!
Five major topics are suggested to guide the students to coming up with their own answers:
1. The War Begins
2. The Battle for Canada
3. Britain's Invasion from the East
4. The Treaty of Ghent
5. The Battle of New Orleans
This Unit includes:
- Printable Student Work Packet Handouts (with anchoring events to keep them focused)
- Presentation Slides for the Opening Activity, Driving Question, and 5 Major Topics (ALL INCLUDE SPANISH TRANSLATIONS EXCEPT FOR CONTENT VOCABULARY WORDS WHICH ARE ALL IN ENGLISH)
- Student Presentation Rubric
- Suggested Resources for student use
- Suggested Set up and daily lesson plans
THIS RESOURCE IS COMPLETELY EDITABLE, SO YOU CAN USE MY FORMATTING AND YOUR OWN IDEAS.
USS Constitution - The Legend of "Old Ironsides" - This goes over the amazing features and how the USS Constitution was built. It adds fun facts about the history of the Marines and other related facts. It even has a just for fun "boat terminology" quiz and the meaning behind all those terms.
Check out my whole store at: