The following is a two-day (75 minute periods) common-core based worksheet/lesson on the War of 1812. This lesson includes a variety of student-focused activities designed to promote critical thinking, reading and writing skills, and class discussion. This worksheet contains the following activities:
• Do now that appropriately sets up the lesson with two review questions.
• War Hawks primary sources with two questions – opportunity for class discussion
• Disadvantages on the Eve of War chart with discussion question.
• Declaration of War Request by President Madison - speech writing activity
• Primary source analysis – Madison’s War Request with discussion question.
• Brief secondary source readings on the battles of the War of 1812.
• Battle of Fort McHenry video clip (15 minutes) – link provided to youtube with question.
• Battle of New Orleans song analysis – link to youtube provided with questions.
• Primary and secondary source reading/activity – Hartford Convention
This lesson can be easily modified to fit a longer or shorter class period. Feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns. Follow me to receive notifications for future worksheets. Any feedback that can be provided would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!