"The Waste Land" by T. S. Eliot: A Study Guide provides material to support reflective reading of one of the most important (and difficult) poems of the early twentieth century - many would call it the greatest poem of that century.
It deals ONLY with the poem "The Waste Land" which often appears in anthologies and is frequently set for individual study. Included:
1. An short introduction to Eliot's poetry;
2. A longer introduction to this poem as well as vocabulary and notes which remove the most obvious difficulties of the text.
3. Each section begins with a commentary followed by a number of questions (70 in all) which guide the reader to a deeper understanding of the text. The questions can be used for self-study, homework, group discussion, formal presentations, written answers, etc. No answers are provided: readers WILL find their answers in the text;
4. Selected glossary of literary terms;
5. Suggestions for ways to use the questions as a basis for discussion groups and presentations in the classroom.