These crosswords focus on details from THE WATSONS GO TO BIRMINGHAM—1963. The first crossword focuses on Chapters 1-8; the second, on Chapters 9-15. 50 clues in each puzzle!
Examples of clues:
* Where Byron drowns Nazi parachuters (Ch. 5) ANSWER: toilet
* Rufus’s brother ANSWER: Cody
* Mr. ___, toughest teacher in Kenny’s school (Ch. 2) ANSWER: Alums
* Mr. Watson’s nickname for Joetta (Ch. 7) ANSWER: punkin
* Type of “dogs” that try to “bite” Byron (Ch. 7) ANSWER: chihuahuas
* The Watsons’ record player has two of these (Ch. 8) ANSWER: speakers
* “Every Bird and Bug in Birmingham Stops and ___” (chapter title) ANSWER: Wonders
* ___ Brown, Joey’s shoe brand (Ch. 9) ANSWER: Buster
* Nat ___ Cole, mush-ball singer (Ch. 8) ANSWER: King
* Mitchell’s ___ Fare (grocery store; Ch. 8) ANSWER: Food
A fun way to test students' reading-for-detail skills and a great way to review for objective tests!
Here are my unique products over THE WATSONS GO TO BIRMINGHAM—1963. Many are perfect for early test finishers, between lessons, extra credit, or at the end of the day! View all 9 in my store.
* Bookmarks Plus: THE WATSONS GO TO BIRMINGHAM—1963: These handy little reading aids help students keep track of characters, provide definitions for challenging words—and so much more! A lot of helpful information at students’ fingertips! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these handy little reading aids!
* THE WATSONS GO TO BIRMINGHAM—1963: 3 Vocabulary Crosswords—Fun Way to Learn New Words! Students provide synonyms for words from Chapters 1–8 and Chapters 9–15 of the book. The third puzzle is comprehensive, covering just the targeted 25 words. Between the three puzzles, all 25 words from the Words to Know list on THE WATSONS GO TO BIRMINGHAM—1963 edition of Bookmarks Plus are covered!
* THE WATSONS GO TO BIRMINGHAM—1963: 2 Reading-for-Detail Crosswords! Crossword #1 focuses on details from Chapters 1–8; Crossword #2 focuses on details from Chapters 9–15. 50 clues in each! A fun way to test students’ reading-for-detail skills and a great way to review for objective tests!
* THE WATSONS GO TO BIRMINGHAM—1963: 10 Word Merge Puzzles! Two-word phrases from the story are merged into one “word.” Students decipher the two words. Harder than it sounds, but a good spelling workout and a lot of fun!
* THE WATSONS GO TO BIRMINGHAM—1963: 3 Fun Word Fill-In Puzzles! Students enter common words from the story into the puzzle grid, based on the number of letters in the word and the way it fits with the words around it. One puzzle focuses on common nouns, the next, on proper nouns, and the third, on action verbs. The puzzles can be challenging, but each time students enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next.
* THE WATSONS GO TO BIRMINGHAM—1963: 2 Word Searches w/Hidden Messages! Categories: Characters’ Names; Names (mentioned in the book) and (more) Characters. Each puzzle contains a hidden message.
* The Watsons Go to Birmingham—1963: 12 Quotefall Puzzles—Unique! Each quotefall puzzle contains a quotation from the story. Students form individual words of the quotation by transferring letters from above the double line of the puzzle grid to squares in the columns directly below. Quotefalls can be challenging, but students love working them—and they’re great spelling workouts!
* THE WATSONS GO TO BIRMINGHAM—1963: 2 More Word Searches w/Hidden Messages! Categories: The Brown Bomber and On Their Way. Each puzzle contains a hidden message.
* THE WATSONS GO TO BIRMINGHAM—1963: Complete the Simile Crossword—Fun! Students use their knowledge of the book, their knowledge of language, their spelling skills, and their imaginations to complete examples of 50 similes from the story! A great way to introduce figurative language!
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!