Nonfiction Informational Text, THIRTY NINE Interactive Notebook assignments, and a balanced mix of engaging hands-on activities provide students with an in-depth study of the 5 Pacific States (Alaska, California, Hawaii, Oregon, and Washington) and the six Mountain States (Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Utah, and Wyoming) by exploring the history of each state's First People, Early Explorers, Famous Colonists and Leaders, Early Government, important Battles and Wars in the West, and each State's Journey to Statehood.
Each of the ELEVEN Mini Units in the West Region Bundle includes these activities:
• Questions after each lesson to assess Informational Text Comprehension
• Common Core-aligned Language Skills Activities to foster Literacy in Social Studies
• Vocabulary Quizzes after each lesson
In addition, Every lesson in the West Region Bundle has been professionally recorded with words and music.
Set up a Listening Center for your reluctant readers or use the audio to enhance whole group instruction!
NOTE: The West Region audio is in MP3 format for playing on your computer or MP3 device.
Students will study the in-depth History of each West Region state with these hands-on activities:
THE PACIFIC STATES:
• Using Number Coordinates to plot points of interest on Maps (California)
• Differentiating between Primary/Secondary Sources (Oregon)
• Using Historical Events to answer thought-provoking Discussion Questions (Oregon)
• Using Math to create visual Time Lines (Washington)
• Creating/Utilizing Graphic Organizers for Expository Writing (Alaska)
• Using Number/Letter Coordinates to solve Grid Math Puzzles (Hawaii)
THE MOUNTAIN STATES:
• Following step-by-step Directions for making a miniature 3D Pueblo Dwelling (Colorado)
• Using Number Coordinates to plot points of interest on Maps (Colorado)
• Creating/Utilizing Graphic Organizers for Creative Writing (Montana)
• Reference Map Skills Cardinal/Intermediate Directions (Idaho)
• Using Number/Letter Coordinates to solve Grid Math Puzzles (Nevada)
• Utilizing Scale Rulers to Measure Distances (Utah)
• Creating Maps-Scale Measurement (Utah)
THE WEST REGION BUNDLE INCLUDES 39 INTERACTIVE NOTEBOOK ACTIVITIES:
Vocabulary Organizers (Interactive Notebooks)
Close Reading Journal activities to make History Booklets (Interactive Notebooks)
History Cubes (Interactive Notebooks)
Four-Fold History Organizer (Interactive Notebooks)
Accordion Foldables (Interactive Notebooks)
Famous Person Wheels (Interactive Notebooks)
Interactive History Time Lines (Interactive Notebooks)
History Flip Books (Interactive Notebooks)
Venn Diagrams and Expository Paragraphs (Interactive Notebooks)
Find the Fib Research Projects (Interactive Notebooks)
Travel Brochure (Interactive Notebooks)
We've even included color versions of each West Region lesson for your White Board, black line masters for your students, context-appropriate Glossaries, Answer Pages, and Grading Rubrics for all higher-level activities and Interactive Notebook Assignments.
OUR OTHER INTERACTIVE NOTEBOOK REGION BUNDLES:
NORTHEAST REGION INTERACTIVE NOTEBOOK BUNDLE – NEW ENGLAND + MIDDLE ATLANTIC
MIDDLE WEST REGION INTERACTIVE NOTEBOOK BUNDLE – GREAT LAKES + GREAT PLAINS
SOUTHEAST REGION INTERACTIVE NOTEBOOK BUNDLE – 12 SOUTHEAST STATES
SOUTHWEST REGION INTERACTIVE NOTEBOOK BUNDLE – 4 SOUTHWEST STATES
Created by Teachers. It Just Makes Sense.
RATING THIS WEST REGION BUNDLE EARNS YOU TPT CREDITS TO USE TOWARD FUTURES PURCHASES AND GIVES US A WARM FUZZY FEELING!
(c) 2012-Splash! Publications. Permission is granted to original purchasers to reproduce material as designated only for classroom use. No other part of this work may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means including information storage and retrieval systems without written permission from the publisher, except by a reviewer, who may quote brief passages in a review.