NOTE: This puzzle is meant to be used before students read the book. Also, since most answers consist of one word, students benefit from the use of a thesaurus rather than a dictionary.
This crossword contains 50 challenging words from THE WITCH OF BLACKBIRD POND. Either as a homework assignment or as an opportunity for students to work in pairs with a thesaurus in class, it's a great way to prepare students for reading the book and, thus, understanding the story. Note that the parts of speech are included to aid students in finding the exact answer.
Examples of clues:
* Incoherent: ___ to understand (adj.) ANSWER: hard
* Nonchalant (adj.) ANSWER: easygoing
* Pauper: ___ person (n) ANSWER: poor
* Cavernous (adj.) ANSWER: huge
* Ravenous: Very ___ (adj.) ANSWER: hungry
FYI: This puzzle includes the 25 Words to Know from THE WITCH OF BLACKBIRD POND edition of BOOKMARKS PLUS, which students can refer to for definitions as they read the story as well as a list of main characters, author information, and more. See link below.
Also, to reinforce meaning even more, I have created a THE WITCH OF BLACKBIRD POND synonym/antonym crossword over the same 25 words. A great way to test students’ understanding of synonyms and antonyms! Clues include the sentences from the book! See link below.
USE ALL THREE PRODUCTS TO REINFORCE MEANING!
Here are my unique products over THE WITCH OF BLACKBIRD POND—view them in my store!
* Bookmarks Plus: THE WITCH OF BLACKBIRD POND—A Handy Reading Aid! Helps students keep track of main characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more! A lot of helpful information at students’ fingertips! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these handy reading aids!
* THE WITCH OF BLACKBIRD POND: 50-word Prereading Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus! Helps prepare students for reading the book! Use with the The Witch of Blackbird Pond edition of Bookmarks Plus and the The Witch of Blackbird Pond Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words! Perfect extra-credit assignment and a great way to introduce the book!
* THE WITCH OF BLACKBIRD POND: Synonym/Antonym Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus! Use with Bookmarks Plus and the 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words! A unique crossword!
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!