This is a novel unit for the book "The Witches" by Roald Dahl. For each set of chapters, students will complete 3 comprehension questions of varying difficulty, an activity with 4 vocabulary words, and 1 activity which incorporates reading strategies and writing. The file also includes a folder cover, student bookmarks, a story elements page, a book/movie comparison sheet, and a bonus writing activity.
The book is divided into 11 sections. One page has the questions and vocabulary, and the activity is on the back. Activities are as follows:
1. Chapters 1-2: All About Grandmamma (Character traits/emotions/change)
2. Chapters 3-4: Witch/Regular Woman Venn Diagram (Compare/Contrast based on text evidence)
3. Chapters 5-6: All About the Boy (Character traits/emotions/change)
4. Chapters 7-8: A Grand High Disguise (Visualization)
5. Chapters 9-10: Lost Child (Bruno Jenkins Missing Child Poster)
6. Chapters 11-12: Cause and Effect
7. Chapters 13-14: Make the Best of It! (Connections/Writing)
8. Chapters 15-16: The Mouse-Burglar (Visualization)
9. Chapters 17-18: Plan B (response to text)
10. Chapters 19-20: The Way I See It (Point of View)
11. Chapters 21-22: Extra, Extra! Read All About It! (Response to text)
This unit gives you lots of flexibility. I have used it with 3rd graders a couple of different years. Below are some suggestions for use:
*Print it all out and staple it into a folder for each student with the cover on front
*It can be modified for slower workers or students that are pulled for part of the day by giving them just the question page or just the activity each day.
*Allow students who have finished all of the work to watch the movie after you complete the book. There is a venn diagram to compare/contrast the book and movie included in this packet.
*This can be completed in 12 days. I generally take a few "catch-up" days and stretch it out to 3 complete weeks.
Enjoy your adventures with Roald Dahl!