The carbon cycle
This kit can be used when teaching the carbon cycle. The aim of it is for the students to:
• Define the term cycle from a biological point of view
• Recognise the components of the carbon cycle, in addition to the processes that lead the carbon atom to go from one component to the other
• Get some training on using some thinking skills, especially analysis.
The very simple version of the carbon cycle is used, the components of which are the air, soil, tree, giraffe, lion, waste and bacteria and fungi. Carbon sinks are not added.
There are three major activities in this kit, they are:
• An interactive presentation to be used for the introduction of the cycle and leading a discussion during that
• A whole class activity where the cycle will be built by the students
• An activity for each student to analyse this cycle into several correlated cycles, and emphasise the meaning of the term ‘’cycle’’
The components of the kit are:
• The interactive presentation
• Flash cards
• Work sheet
• Answer key
• Instructions for using the kit