Theater Arts Lesson| West Side Story The Broadway Musical Study Guide
What educators are saying
Also included in
- SAVE THROUGH A BUNDLE! This GROWING BUNDLE contains 21 different musical theater lessons and study guide (1,000 + pages) -- one the origin of the Tony Awards and twenty concerning popular award-winning Broadway musicals. Students will come away with exceptional, broad knowledge and a new appreciatiPrice $131.00Original Price $155.98Save $24.98
- GROWING BUNDLE SAVE A BUNCH!! Here are 8 units (360 pages) and study guides focused on Tony Award winning, classic Broadway musicals--The Music Man, West Side Story, Phantom of the Opera, The King and I, South Pacific and Peter Pan. Students study, research, synthesize and apply the information wPrice $46.02Original Price $65.75Save $19.73
- Save 20% with this bundle! Teach your students about West Side Story and Stephen Sondheim who wrote the lyrics for this Tony Award Winning Broadway musical. Students gain mastery through the study of the plot, themes, creative staff, lyrics, trivia and so much more. Then switch gears while they rPrice $8.88Original Price $11.75Save $2.87
Part of a Bundle An instant classic, yes? This one or two-day lesson (54 pages) and study guide focuses on the Tony award winning musical West Side Story. This is the story of a modern-day Romeo and Juliet are involved in New York street gangs. On the harsh streets of the upper west side, two gangs battle for control of the turf. The situation becomes complicated when a gang member falls in love with a rival's sister. Students have an opportunity to study its journey to Broadway, plot, creative team, songs, composers, plot, trivia, etc.
The lesson can stand alone or be combined with one of my Famous Artist Biographies Hugh Jackman for example) or other musical lessons (Hamilton or Wicked)
Need a quick emergency lesson plan? Or one for a substitute?
HOW DO I USE THIS LESSON IN MY CLASSROOM? A drama, music or language arts class would enjoy this lesson. Everything is provided for the teacher to have a successful, fun and engaging lesson!
This Product includes:
- Letter to Teacher
- Two Warm Ups--My Own Version of this Popular Exercise--
- Teacher's Script--What I Say and How I Say it!
- Photos of West Side Story
- Synopsis of the Musical
- Plot of the Musical--comprehensive and detailed
- Short Biography about the creative team of Stephen Sondheim, Leonard Bernstein, Jerome Robbins
- Separate File of Photos for Teacher's Use in Lecture
- History about the Origination of the Production
- AND a Mini-Lesson on What are the Tony Awards?
- List of Tony Awards
- New York City Map with Competing Theaters Labeled
- Student Note Page for West Side Story
- Teacher Note Page Key
- Fascinating Trivia about Broadway and West Side Story
- Songs List
- Extension Activities--Ten Terrific Assignment Suggestions to Secure the Learning and Enrich the Experience either Individual or Group
- Sources & Links to Film Clips from the Show
- And More!
Comprehensive? You bet.
This is a unique, engaging product created by an award-winning, veteran drama teacher of 38 years.
Do you follow me? If not, I hope you will: FOLLOW ME
Check out my other TPT products at:
Here's what reviewers say about Dramamommaspeaks products:
In the Heights, Google Classroom
"Fabulous unit on this musical. The students really enjoyed it! And it sure helped me that it was digital. Thanks. "
“WOW! WHAT an AWESOME Resource!!!! Thanks for providing the questions, the links, a couple of different teaching options. This could be a great sub plan, but I know every teacher wants to do this lesson for themselves. Love that you finished with a great tweet from L M Miranda. Kids are gonna love THIS!”
"This is such a wonderful and creatively made resource!"
Earning TPT Credits
• Do you want credit for future TPT purchases? Just provide feedback for resources you purchase. Click on the “provide feedback” button next to your purchases, rate the resource, and leave a short comment. (You need to do both to earn credits.)
You receive 1 TPT credit for each dollar you spend, and you can spend it just like cash on future Teachers Pay Teachers purchases.