Also included in
- 20% OFF! This GROWING BUNDLE contains TWENTY different musical theater lessons and study guide (550 pages) -- one the origin of the Tony Awards and thirteen concerning popular award-winning Broadway musicals. Students will come away with exceptional, broad knowledge and a new appreciation of the aPrice $131.18Original Price $148.95Save $17.77
- GROWING BUNDLE SAVE A BUNCH!! Here are 8 units (374 pages) and study guides focused on Tony Award winning, classic Broadway musicals--The Music Man, West Side Story, Phantom of the Opera, The King and I, South Pacific and Peter Pan. Students study, research, synthesize and apply the information wPrice $61.20Original Price $67.00Save $5.80
This one or two-day lesson (52 pages) focuses on the Tony award winning musical The Phantom of the Opera. Considered one of the best and most successful musicals in theater history, the story tells of a man shunned by society for his horrible facial deformity, he takes a promising young soprano, Christine, under his wing and grooms her for operatic fame, all the while falling deeply in love with her. As Christine grows ever more successful, and a handsome young man from her past begins to successfully court her, the Phantom descends into a jealous rage and terrorizes the opera company with increasingly dangerous threats. Students have an opportunity to study its journey to Broadway, plot, songs, composers, plot, trivia, etc.
Need a quick emergency lesson plan? Or one for a substitute?
HOW DO I USE THIS LESSON IN MY CLASSROOM? A drama, music or a language arts class would enjoy this lesson. Everything is provided for the teacher to have a successful, fun and engaging lesson!
This Product includes:
- Letter to Teacher
- Two Warm Ups--My Own Version of this Popular Exercise--
- Teacher's Script--What I Say and How I Say it!
- Photos of Phantom of the Opera
- Synopsis of the Musical
- Plot of the Musical
- Short Biography about the creative team of Andrew Lloyd Weber the composer, and director Hal Prince.
- Biography focused on the author of Phantom of the Opera, Gaston Laroux
- Why is Phantom of the Opera a musical and not an opera?
- Information about on of the most famous stage pieces of theater--the 8,000 light chandelier and a video clip concerning it
- Video showing the steps an actor portraying the Phantom must take in order to become the classic character
- Separate File of Photos for Teacher's Use in Lecture
- History about the Origination of the Production
- AND a Mini-Lesson on What are the Tony Awards?
- List of Tony Awards
- New York City Map with Competing Theaters Labeled
- Student Note Page for Hairspray
- Teacher Note Page Key
- Fascinating Trivia about Broadway and Phanom of the Opera
- Songs List
- Extension Activities-- Eight Terrific Suggestions of Ways to Secure the Learning and Enrich the Experience either Individual or Group
- Sources & Links to Film Clips from the Show
- And More!
Comprehensive? You bet.
This is a unique, engaging product created by an award-winning, veteran drama teacher of 38 years.
Do you follow me? If not, I hope you will: FOLLOW ME
Check out my other TPT products at:
Here's what reviewers have said of Dramamommaspeaks products:
"Fabulous unit on this musical. The students really enjoyed it! And it sure helped me that it was digital. Thanks. "
“WOW! WHAT an AWESOME Resource!!!! Thanks for providing the questions, the links, a couple of different teaching options. This could be a great sub plan, but I know every teacher wants to do this lesson for themselves. Love that you finished with a great tweet from L M Miranda. Kids are gonna love THIS!”
"This is such a wonderful and creatively made resource!"
Earning TPT Credits
• Do you want credit for future TPT purchases? Just provide feedback for resources you purchase. Click on the “provide feedback” button next to your purchases, rate the resource, and leave a short comment. (You need to do both to earn credits.)
You receive 1 TPT credit for each dollar you spend, and you can spend it just like cash on future Teachers Pay Teachers purchases.