Use this unit plan on Zora Neale Hurston's novel, Their Eyes Were Watching God, to bring life to your lessons! With more than 65+ files, everything you need to teach the novel and more is included.
This bundle includes:
• Common Core Unit plan map
• Sample pacing calendar
• "How Feels to Be Colored Me" questions and projects
• Dust Tracks on a Road passage analysis and activity
• Folklore activity using Hurston's Mules and Men
• A 30+ slide introductory PowerPoint, featuring personal pictures from Eatonville and Ft. Pierce, FL
• Activities for every chapter of the novel
• Analysis of the novel's title
• Biblical allusion activity and chart
• Socratic seminar prompts and lesson plan
• Movie study guide for the 2005 Oprah produced TV movie
• Group activities
• Creative writing activities based on Hurston's words
• Found poem activity
• Final essay prompt
• Critical theory activity
• Map project tracing Janie's journey physically and figuratively through Florida
• Folklore creative project
• Understanding the novel's dialect worksheet
• Symbolism activities
• Writing prompts based on close reading
• Zora's Roots film worksheet
• And much more!
While a unit map and pacing calendar are included, this is not a scripted bundle. Included are many more activities than mentioned on the pacing guide, so you can pick and choose depending on the needs of your students.
The font used on most of the handouts is called Beyond the Mountains and can be downloaded free online.
Check out my other American Literature units:
The Scarlet Letter Bundle - Task Cards, PowerPoint, Worksheets, and More!
A Streetcar Named Desire Unit Plan, Worksheets, PowerPoints, Task Cards
Fences by August Wilson Unit Plan Bundle: Worksheets, Task Cards, Projects
Tree clipart created by Caryn Wheeler Art