Harbor Seal Grows Up is a weekly unit consisting of activities that focus on the skill drawing conclusions The activities can be completed as a whole class, small group, in partners, or in a center. The unit contains:
1. Title, Author, Genre, Skills Posters (copy on card stock)
2. Week 1 Blending Words
3. Phonics poster/Word Sorts
4. Spelling Activities
5. Vocabulary poster/pictures
6. Vocabulary writing/drawing activities
7. Story note taking organizer for sequence
8. Comprehension practice
10. Grammar practice sheet for verbs “to be”
11. Formative Assessment practice
Students have the opportunity to practice life skills through phonics, spelling, vocabulary, comprehension, writing, and art activities. The unit designed addresses the following Common Core Standards:
1. Ask and answer such questions as who, what, where, when, why and how to demonstrate understanding of key details in the text.
2. Identify the main purpose of the text, including what the author wants to answer, explain, or describe.
4a. Read on-level text with purpose and understanding.
Readiness Anchor Standards for Writing:
2. Write informative/explanatory texts to examine ideas and information clearly through organization and analysis of text.
5. Develop and strengthen writing as needed by planning, revising, editing, rewriting, or trying a new approach,
2. Write informative/explanatory texts in which they introduce a topic, use facts and definitions to develop points, and provide a concluding statement.
1. Demonstrate command of the conventions of Standard English grammar and usage when writing and speaking.
1e. Form and use the past tense of frequently occurring irregular verbs.
2a. Use commas in greetings and closing of letters.