Theme can be a difficult concept to teach. This lesson does it for you! It includes examples, non-examples, and steps in the “how to” process of identifying theme. Recognizable fairy tales and short stories are used to teach and practice the concepts of theme.
Included in this lesson:
• Cloze notes and notes key
• 6 practice sheets with different stories – outlined in EDI – I do, we do, you do, etc.
• Each story has all of the steps outlined and multiple choice answers are available
• 2 warm-ups – one for a pre-lesson (accessing prior knowledge) and one post teaching warm-up or it can be used as a quiz.
• Objectives and Common Core Standards
Note: The first example requires the use of Dr. Seuss’ “Green Eggs and Ham”. This story can be just discussed, rather than read, or skipped if you don’t have access to the book.