Also included in
- With this bundle of my complete teaching packs for the key reading anchor standards, you'll be set to provide your students with fundamental instruction that will ensure their success with demonstrating college and career level readiness of the anchor standards for reading. Using these skills-readi$59.99$76.50Save $16.51
The objective of this How to Recognize and Apply Theme Development Across A Text teaching pack is to foster students' beginning or basic understanding of how theme can be developed in a text - CC.R.2. The no-prep lecture provided introduces the concept and the graphic organizers and constructed response prompts could be used again and again throughout the year.
Student Experience: Students are introduced to theme development with a quick review of theme, and then they begin to explore theme development examples in real life. They can take notes on their traditional notes (print or digital) or on their sketch notes. Then, students will explore theme development in print examples as they participate in a gallery walk. To practice their understanding about theme development, students will read and diagram poetry with the graphic organizers provided. Last, students will transfer and apply their knowledge by writing a thematic poem of their own.
Included in this pack:
-a lesson plan with common core links and suggestions
- a PPT version and Google Drive version of the lecture
- guided practice
- student notes worksheet (traditional and sketch notes) for use during lecture
- Google drive version of the lecture notes and fish bone graphic for use with any text
- a set of graphic organizers for tracking theme development for use in any text
- "real world" images and graphics for examples and a gallery walk
- two texts for analysis and practice - one poem and one modern song
- group creative writing assignment
- constructed response prompts for use with any text
This lesson would work very well for the ELA classroom at various levels given your choices of texts, etc. It would also be effective in a journalism class learning to develop theme in a yearbook.
Classroom success stories from other teachers who love this resource:
♥ "This theme development pack was perfect for my students to begin learning and understanding theme!"
♥ "Very pleased with this product! My kids enjoyed the engaging lesson and the test was top notch! Thanks!"
♥ "This is an incredibly detailed resource and will be super useful. Even some of my seniors still struggle with theme, but this will make it accessible for them."
♥ "Awesome resource. I love your creations because they are student-centered."
♥ "The visual component of this lesson is a great way to teach theme! Love the scavenger hunt/gallery walk images!"
♥ "Loved this resource, like all of Julie's work. I teach in a gifted magnet, w/twice as many students and half as much time as my regular school peers. These units save me do much time and effort."
Each of my ELA skills lesson packs includes a teacher's guide lesson plan, an easy-to-use PPT lecture explaining the concept, guided practice, opportunity for collaborative and individual practice, and a form of assessment. See my other English standards teaching packs while you’re here, too, and teach the fundamental skills first for success!
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches. Look for the green star next to my store logo and click it to FOLLOW ME. Voila! You will now receive email updates about my store.
For more ideas and inspiration:
Please, one classroom use only. Additional licenses are sold at checkout. This license is nontransferable. Not eligible for online environments unless password protected. Posting openly online is prohibited. No part of this resource can be used for commercial purposes, altered, or resold. This work is my original work, and taking portions of it to create something else for resale is prohibited. Original Cover Photography © Julie Faulkner