Theme in Literature: Develop Plot and Determine Literary Theme with the integration of Greek Mythology Stories.
- Plot Development Printouts and Tasks
- Literary Theme Printouts and Tasks
- Ticket out the door
- Annotation Coding
- Anchor Charts for Plot Line and Determining Theme
- Pre-writing graphic organizers
- Teacher Samples
- 4 Greek Mythology Passages
- 7 detailed lessons
Note: If you have purchased either of our other Greek Bundles, DO NOT
purchase this unit, This Plot Development and Literary Theme Unit is included in both units.
★Mythology MEGA Bundle★
- The Greek Mythology Mega Bundle Unit is the better buy and will give you 12 Greek Mythology stories, 11 Greek Mythology Allusion classroom posters, and lesson plans and activities for the story elements of character traits, theme, plot development and CCSS 4.4 ELA standard of allusion.
★Greek Mythology Story Elements Bundle★
- This bundle includes this character traits unit and has a plot and theme Greek unit also that compliments this unit.
Purpose of Unit
Theme is a difficult topic to be taught and takes time. The best way to teach theme is to start with teaching the plot because the theme is found in the plot. Once a student understands how plot development works, they can find the theme of the story. This unit is rigorous and thorough and students will truly be able to grasp the concept of theme when they are finished and have fun learning Greek mythology.
There is a final task for each of the 2 mini-units that assess application of the learning goals and an optional extended thinking task if more rigor is wanted.
There are 2 overarching learning goals
that are the target of the lessons:
• I can identify, describe, and sequence the elements of plot.
• I can identify theme by analyzing plot and characters.
The unit includes a total of 7 very detailed,
step by step lesson plans included in this unit (4 for plot development) and (3 for universal theme). These lesson plans would be great to use for a teacher evaluation or even a substitute. Included in the lesson plans are:
• Enduring Understandings
• Essential Questions
• Skills/Learning Goals
• Formative Assessments
• Motivational Hooks/Anticipatory Set with engaging YouTube links.
For teacher’s who are using “Learning Goal Scales” and a “Student Tracking System”
(recommended by Marzano’s Teacher Evaluation Model), this lesson will be a great help. Included in the mini-unit are:
• Adorable Greek Mythology Characters that represent the (1-4) learning scales found in Marzano’s “The Art and Science of Teaching”.
• “I Can” statements that go with the overarching learning goal and scales
• Learning goal scales with a tracking sheet for students to track their progress.
All printouts have a cute Greek Theme to make them more fun for the students. The mythology characters were designed for upper elementary in mind. They are not too childish and yet appropriate for that age.
- 4 Mythology Passages
The Trojan Horse
Psyche and Eros
Arachne the Spinner
4th Grade ELA - RL 4.1, 4.2, 4.3
5th Grade ELA - RL 5.1, 5.2, 5.3
We hope you enjoy this unit! Thanks!