This powerful PowerPoint presentation uses a familiar tale, “The Three Little Pigs,” to help students understand theme. It models two processes: connecting details in a story to find a theme and writing a paragraph to express that theme.
The PowerPoint presentation opens with a definition and four steps for finding and writing a theme. It continues with thorough exploration of three separate themes for “The Three Little Pigs.” Students learn to identify connected details, translate those details into a theme, and write a constructed response, including a topic sentence, detail sentences, and conclusion.
The first two themes are multi-word lessons; the third is a one-word overarching theme. In this regard, the modeling session acts as a bridge from students’ understanding of a story’s lesson to their comprehension of theme. Although it was specially designed for fourth graders, this lesson will work wonders for anyone struggling with theme.
• 20-slide theme PowerPoint presentation
• A poster with steps for finding and writing about theme of story
• Theme graphic organizer and response sheet
• Rubric for constructed response on theme (with and without CCSS listed)
• BONUS: Extend learning with a story arc template and related video link. This allows you to take learning to the next level as kids consider a character’s response to adversity and how that response alters the outcome of the story. A list of universal truths suggests possible one-word themes.
Click on the PREVIEW button above to take a peek at the PowerPoint and related resources.
This PowerPoint presentation, created by master teacher Brenda Kovich
, is also available as a part of an entire theme unit
, which also includes lesson plans with video links, four one-page fables with related organizers for practice, rubrics, and more.
Fourth Grade Literature Units
This unit is now available as part of my Fourth Grade Reading Curriculum - Literature Skills Bundle
. You can purchase eight complete standards-based units (including lesson plans, PowerPoint presentations, practice, and assessments) plus three comprehensive assessments for a discounted price - - - or pick and choose from the list below:
• Answering Questions Unit
• Finding a Theme Unit
• Summarizing Unit
• Describing a Character Unit
• Words from Mythology Unit
• Prose, Drama, and Poetry Unit
• Determining and Defending Point of View Unit
• Comparing and Contrasting Folklore Unit
• Literature Assessments - Grade 4
Click on the Follow Me button to be notified as new units and activities become available.
For weekly ideas, activities, links, and freebies, check out my blog, Enjoy Teaching
Do you love this resource but need help paying for it? When your school signs up for TpT for Schools, you can request resources to be purchased by your school. Share this video
with your administrator to get the conversation started.
Common Core State Standard Reading: Literature 4.2 (CCSS RL.4.2)
I'm committed to continual improvement. This PowerPoint was revised to include more examples and improved graphics on May 31, 2014. Supporting resources were added June 21, 2017.