Also included in
- Huge discounted bundle of 22 sets of Reading Strategy Task Cards! Each card features a short, curriculum-based and/or high-interest passage, along with a text-dependent question or prompt. Challenge cards are also included to extend the learning, as well as student response sheets, and answer keys.$57.48$77.48Save $20.00
- These 8 sets of task cards have been classroom-tested by tens of thousands of teachers. Each card features a short, curriculum-based and/or high-interest passage, along with a text-dependent question or prompt. Challenge cards are also included to extend the learning. There are also answer keys. In$24.86$30.86Save $6.00
- This huge bundle of task cards includes reading skills and strategies, figurative language, vocabulary, sentence building and punctuation, parts of speech, affixes and roots, writing prompts, and plenty of overall ELA test prep and review. There are 107 products in this bundle, but you will get clos$272.93$372.93Save $100.00
Use these 16 short story cards and google slides to help your students infer the theme of a story. There are three different answer sheets (and slide formats) so that you can differentiate as needed. For the print version: multiple-choice, constructed response, and half and half. There are also answer keys for each answer sheet so that students can check their own work as well as 6 Challenge Cards.
The Google Slide version includes the slides in multiple-choice and constructed response. There is also a third format that allows you to use any story with any of 6 extra challenges. Mix and match to meet the needs of all your learners!
Google Slides added May 6, 2020
Black line versions of the cards are also included for printing on colored paper.
Theme is a challenging concept. While these cards can be used for individual practice (especially when using the multiple-choice format), you may want to consider using them with your entire class or a small group by reading each story aloud and working together to determine the theme.
Contents of this set include:
- Directions and Suggestions
- 16 Half-Page Theme Story Cards - Color
- 16 Half-Page Theme Story Cards - Black Line
- 16 Google Slides in 3 formats (48 slides total)
- 6 Challenge Cards - Color
- 6 Challenge Cards - Black Line
- Theme Poster - Color
- Theme Poster - Black Line
- Student Answer Sheets
- Answer Keys
What teachers have said about this resource:
♥ WoW! These were the perfect addition to my theme unit! The stories worked out nicely for group/partner work and individual assessment. Thank you! -Sandy W.
♥ These really helped my students understand that theme is more than a summary.
♥ I used this for my lesson I planned and taught for my TPA and it went with flying colors. I did a whole unit on theme of stories, short and long. Thanks! -Ashley B.
Common Core Standards addressed in this set:
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.4.2 Determine a theme of a story, drama, or poem from details in the text; summarize the text.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.5.2 Determine a theme of a story, drama, or poem from details in the text, including how characters in a story or drama respond to challenges or how the speaker in a poem reflects upon a topic; summarize the text.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.6.2 Determine a theme or central idea of a text and how it is conveyed through particular details; provide a summary of the text distinct from personal opinions or judgments.
Also available in a money-saving Reading Strategies Task Card Bundle
About the Author
These passages were written by me, Rachel Lynette. I am a published author of over 120 nonfiction books for children on a variety of subjects, as well as several teacher resource books. I have written for publishers such as Harcourt, Thompson-Gale, Rosen, Children’s Press, Evan-Moor, Kagan, and several others. These passages reflect more than a decade of professional writing experience.
Purchasing this product grants permission for use by one teacher in his or her own classroom. If you intend to share with others, please purchase an additional license.
Minds in Bloom