Teaching "Themes" seemed really difficult until I found some great examples on pinterest.
I just finished a unit with my 5th graders, and here it is:
* Examples of Theme with definitions
* Frames for using "Evidence from the Text"
* Foldables that can be used in your Interactive Notebooks
* An assessment page that can be used with any Literature
* An easy to use rubric, that students will understand and teachers can use to correct the paragraphs.
I used this with my "Read Aloud" and would stop early to have students respond to the story in their journals. the improvement in their writing amazed the teachers in my grade level.